Thursday, October 3, 2019

Pocket Notebook Reveal with Eileen Hull


Welcome to the Pocket Notebook Release Party! This is Eileen Hull’s newest book die with Sizzix.
Eileen’s Inspiration and Educator teams have combined to show us their amazing Pocket Notebook ideas. Please follow the Blog Hop to see all of the fabulous projects, techniques and videos! There are links at the bottom of this post to the other designers fabulous projects.

There are also two GIVEAWAYS- the Pocket Notebook die and a gift certificate for Eileen’s Etsy store. To enter to win, leave a comment on each of the posts. Winners will be announced on Tuesday, October 8 on Eileen’s Facebook Live show.
...drum roll please the Pocket Notebook!! 


On this die, you get all of the pieces you need to make an entire book- the cover, pages, latch and pen loop! The Pocket Notebook measures 6 3/4” x 4 1/2” with a spine that can adjust from of 3/8” to almost 2”! String it with elastic, hemp, ribbon or twine. So many options for this fun die! I decided to use one of my favorite background techniques that I have not done in awhile. Love the textured lusciousness it creates!! My project is a "Through the Years" Mini Album.


Here are all the beautiful projects that the Inspiration Team & Education Team made for this hop!!! So many lovely projects...


1st Step- cut 2 covers using mat board. Cover them in light modeling paste but a fairly thin layer like peanut butter on toast layer. The idea is it is thick enough to stamp into but not so thick that when your lift the stamp the image is lost. Do not add paste around the edges. 


Using a clear good quality stamp with multiple images press into the paste & carefully pull stamp straight up. If your image is not good you can smooth the paste out & redo it. Once dry add the crackle paste around the edges. 

I had an idea for the cover & this was the start of nothing going right. Using Color Blends 2 cut 1/2 & 1/2 with Acrylic Glaze & a paint brush I added color & took it off with a baby wipe. It did work as a sort of glaze but did not blend together as much as I wanted.





What happened next was many layers of Metallic Acrylic paint as I tried to get this cover to bend to my will!!! I really thought I would have to scrap it & start over but I was on a deadline & did not have the time for new pages to paste & dry. "Sometimes you have to get through the ugglies to get to something good" quote by me!


I also added Faded Jean Distress spray & carefully wiped off to leave the dark blue in crevices. That really helped the image pop. Next time I would start with a navy acrylic paint cut with glaze & wipe down to leave the navy in the crevices. Then I would add the other colors one at a time & wipe back with a baby wipe. As a final step a heavy body Copper paint was scuffed across the top layers to add more of the images pop!


Next the spine was put together using Redline which is super strong. The die cut makes this easy as all you have to do is line the holes up. I advise you add the inside paper at this point if desired. I added copper colored eyelets to add even more stability. The spine was stamped using archival ink & once dry embossed with Glistening Glass.



I stung my elastic so it was fairly hidden on the outside. 


 
There are many ways to do this and here is a video showing a few different ways.



Time for some embellishments!! I die cut the butterfly with heavy cardstock & used the same red metallic that is on the cover for the solid piece. The fancy cut out piece was heat embossed with Golden Rod. 


 These pieces were assembled and a hat pin from my stash was strung with wire & beads to act as the butterflies body. In this close up you can really see all that wonderful texture created by the pastes and highlighted with the paint.



A label was made with layers of black cardstock & the same metallic paints as well as a quote. Charms dangle on the side & an elastic band with another metal quote which may be too much but for now helps keep the book closed. 




This book has room for 5 signatures. I decided at this moment that I would make a book of me through my life with each signature spanning 10 years. We as documentors are so focused on family and kids that our story is sometimes lost. I have started putting in some papers with 3 signatures & will add as I go.

I like the idea of pulling photos from the past & creating my journey up to now. The beauty of this book is the pages are removable so as I add photos it is easy to re-arrange the papers. 


I chose some of my favorite scrapbook papers & did a mix of those plus journal, mix media, tags & project life cards. This was super fun using up lots of stashed papers saved over the years. Adding die cut pieces really gives this project extra life. 



Hot Tips: 
-some of my favorite papers I left 12' long & created flaps or side pockets out of them.
-use your paper scraps as you make your book to cut tags, pockets journal spots out of which has the bonus of automatic matching embellishments. 
-keep all the pieces of your project in one container so it is easy to pull out & work on it. 

Here is a look at the Pocket Notebook from the packaging.


Supplies:
Eileen Hull Pocket Notebook diecut by Sizzix
"           " -  Credit Card Sleeve & Tags, Birds & Butterflies, Bookmark, Tag & Pocket...
Mat Board by Sizzix
Eileen Hull Red Line 1/4" Tape by Thermoweb
Color Blends 2
EH Embossing Powder- Glistening Glass & Golden Rod by Emerald Creek. 
Stampsl403 by Studio Light
Light Molding Paste & Crackle Paste
Finnabair Metallic Paint in 
Golden Heavy Body in Copper. 
Wanderlust Tim Holtz Assemblage Charm & Chat Stickers - Snarky.
 *Affiliate- some of these companies have given me product to use, play & experiment with. The ideas are my own but I tend to work with companies whose products I like so enjoy the inspiration.

 Thanks for hopping with us today!!! Remember to tune into Eileen's Facebook Live today, Thursday, Oct. 3rd at 4pm to see some of these samples live!

Karen Bearse (you are here)

55 comments:

  1. I love the way you layer and layer and layer - the cover color and texture is just gorgeous! I think I see you in one of those pictures of your momma! Great idea for a mini-album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the layers and colors. Reminds me a little of Autumn. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video "I stung my elastic so it was fairly hidden on the outside." is very helpful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your great choice of co;or affects . Very nice mini.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your book turned out great - thanks for sharing all the tips and inspiration. It is a great die!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. STUNNING - love everything but the metal closure piece caught my eye TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. The grungy/artsy look is wonderful. And I love that you added photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving the texture!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the idea of using the modeling paste and stamping. I also thank you for sharing what you thought was wrong but came out great. This is inspirational!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you kept pressing on. It gives us all inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love all those layers. So worth keeping going.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love your work, Karen! It's so free and artsy and fun. The cover is gorgeous, and I so appreciate your great tips and tutorial! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here’s to “getting through the uglies to get to something good.” I love your quote and your journal. The color turned out beautiful. I love the idea of using a signature to document a decade in the life. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colour and textures you have created

    ReplyDelete
  15. That butterfly is soooo pretty. You are a true artist.
    Anita Holte

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad you persevered with this Karen because the end result is gorgeous! Those metallic colours just shine through and the butterfly is divine with the hat pin body! Love this. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful colors and textures on this Karen! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The texture on the cover is amazing and I like the butterfly detail.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty-I have yet to use texture paste but your album is so pretty. I am going to have to try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous depth of colors you got using Eileen's Blends 2...love, love, love! That texture paste gives great detail! Love you Pocket Notebook!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful texture and love what you did with the hat pin, very clever ! thanks for sharing and thank you for the hop xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your layering techniques, Karen! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lush and lustrous! I've bookmarked this for a second read, thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could pick one item from the whole party, this would be it, I love it! I was amazed to hear from the livestream about it's difficult genesis, well done for persevering, the whole feel is of luxurious depth in those layers.

      Delete
    2. awwww thank you so much Marylou!! Glad you got to see it on the live.

      Delete
  24. Such a great book and your cover turned out marvelous despite all your challenges *(boy, do I know how that goes). Gotta say that I am not sure I agree with your peanut butter analogy since I always load peanut butter on super thick! LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i never know what to say like mayo or PB cause tbh I use chunky PB & layer it pretty thick too! Thanks so much for the comment!

      Delete
  25. Man is your cover gorgeous and all that texture! LOVE the whole concept of your book too, what a fab layout of photos and love!

    ReplyDelete
  26. On the FB Live, I know you didn't original the cover but you worked through it. I love the cover. Where would we be without challenges? I admire you for keeping it real. Great recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  27. First let me say the cover is fabulous it worked out so great! This is a treasure of treasures, you have inspired me to make a book of me. Thank you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  28. How fun to see the photos in your beautiful, grungy notebook!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great colors! And I love your technique for creating texture on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a beautiful book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh this is a texture dream! What a lovely notebook to hold and use, the colors are beautiful and the way you’ve decorated it only adds to its beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful books here Karen! Love that paste and inks blends on the cover. The effects are so interesting. Love to try this someday! very nice! TFS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that pretty butterfly! So sweet! Great textures (stamping in the modeling paste is an amazing look)! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely! Looking forward to seeing projects done with this new die!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh Karen more is most definitely more in this case - I love how the various layers on the cover have blended to create that gorgeous metallic look embossed effect. And what a wonderful way to start documenting your family's past and future. You've started wonderfully with the photos and various journaling cards inside. Love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hahaha, nice to know that oops happens to us all. And the finished product-fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, Karen! This is my absolute favorite project! It is amazing! I love that you are documenting your life. Such a beautiful way to do it. I can't wait to try the techniques that you have shown us! Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Tammy!! Glad I could inspire.

      Delete
  38. Seeing this in person, it is even more spectacular! I loved that you bent it to your will- and won- judging from all the comments :-) It truly is gorgeous- and so nice and thick- you will be able to fit tons of photos and ephemera in there- just amazing- love it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for creating these amazing bases that allow us to go wild with creativity!! You rock!!

      Delete
  39. Wow--love the colors and textures and embellishments. Great idea to make a book of your life in 10 year increments.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This journal is beautiful, I love the texture you have created. the details for this journal are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great notebook and video. Love that spine treatment. Thanks for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh my goodness! Yes thanks for persevering onward! Luv your journal picture album! Yes how the years get gone and we have not documented our own story! Thanks for the inspiration! And ...luv the butterfly made with the hat pin!!! Hugs, Suzy Q

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks everyone for you wonderful comments!!! Glad I could inspire and really hope you make one of these books as they are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...