Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Junk Journal Memory Book using The Folio Journal for Eileen Hull

I am back with the junk journal memory book tutorial for Eileen Hull. This month the team is continuing to showcase Chapter 1 die cut release from Sizzix. I am happy to bring you my tutorial from the release hop. This is a 2 part post & there is a video flip through in part 2!!! Link to Part 2. 

 *Affiliate- some of these companies have given me product to use, play & experiment with. The ideas are my own but I tend to work with companies whose products I like so enjoy the inspiration.  **some of these links are affiliate, I receive a small percentage from the company at no cost to you. This helps me deliver free content!

 This is my mixed media junk journal. I will be using it to put my favorite photo each week so at the end of the year I will have a snapshot of what 2021 was all about. There were many steps in making this book & I used some of my favorite techniques & colors. I even made a flower! Not well known for my flower skills I think it turned out all right.  




Let's Get Started!

Eileen's new mandala is awesome, to be honest I am not a huge mandala fan but there is something about this one that is really different & intricate. I knew as soon as I saw it that is would make a great stencil. The challenge is it is very intricate & easily damaged so I cut it out of paper then covered it with a few coats of collage medium. Set that aside to dry & continue on by prepping the cover. Make sure you do this on plastic or a glass mat so it can be picked up & set aside to dry.


*Hot Tip: If there are bits that do not pop out immediately after die cutting simply take a piece of purple tape or low tack tape & press into the areas that did not release. The tape picks up the bits but does not damage the image. Much faster then using a pokey hole tool!

 

 
It really is amazing that this project started with white board & white card stock! That is the great thing about Eileen's dies, start with the base & the sky is the limit. While this die cut makes a folio that has a fold to create a box on the front & back of the project I cut the edges off to create a book. Please check out all that samples that were made during the blog hop if you missed it, so much inspiration you can find it here. Acrylic paint was used on the edges & spine. Once dry that was covered in multiple stamped images. Then the cover was set aside to work on the main image.


Time To Add Some Paste!

Once the mandala was dry it was time to use it as a stencil! Heavy Card stock was cut using the Deckle Trimmer, 1/4" smaller than the cover. I made one for the front & the back. Texture paste was carefully scraped on using a spatula. Crackle paste was scraped on around the edges of the image covering the rest of the card stock pieces & set aside to dry. The beauty of the Ranger products is they dry very quickly in about 15-20 minutes. 
 
 
The image was covered in a few layers of spray inks. I kept the colors in the same areas overlapping a bit. If you use colors that work well together like blues, yellows & browns your cover will not look muddy. 


Once the paper was dry it was adhered to the cover using double sided adhesive. 
 
 
 

Making The Flower

A piece of card stock that was leftover from an inky project was used to make the flower. It just had layers of various Distress Sprays on it. The Folio Page Pocket comes with these flower pieces. 
 

 
The pieces were run through an embossing folder. Then wax was applied on a hard piece of foam & run flat across the high points to create the metallic copper look I love. 


I used different embossing folders for each layer & also switched to a gold wax color for the top petal. The group was held together with a brad. 

 
I used the same wax & technique to hit the high points on the Mandela being careful on the crackle paste parts so they would not chip off. *before anything was attached, the cover was treated to protect the paste from not peeling off when handled, as described in the next step.
 

 
I am missing some step outs but they are easy to describe. Gloss Medium was poured over the card board mandala image. This product is self doming so it will stay on the area you are pouring it on. I coated the cover well, carefully using a spatula to spread it evenly. The cover will look milky but dries to a clear glossy finish, protecting the paste underneath. The project must lay perfectly flat & takes hours to dry. I let it dry over night.
  

While the cover was curing, a cool charm was made. Cardboard was covered in metallic tape then run through an embossing folder. Next the House Ornament die was used to cut out the small house. Alcohol ink was dabbed on. The image was covered in the Gloss Medium. You can see how it sits on top of the piece & doesn't run over the edges. You can see it looks milky. Let dry overnight.



Here is the finished house. It looks so dynamic! A gear charm was attached with a brad & that was attached to a cool rusty binder clip with a tiny paperclip. Love adding these details! 


This project has a few more steps but as this post has gotten very long. I will finish it off in another post Friday, along with a video flip through. I hope to see you back!! Don't forget to check out my teammates posts & remember to join Eileen on her Facebook Lives Tuesday & Thursdays!

Supplies: 

12 comments:

  1. I love this journal and your idea to add a 'photo of the week'. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing your journal! Thank you so much for sharing how you made it, and the tips as well!😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing your journal! Thank you for sharing how you made it.😊 PS thanks for the hot tips too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial - really love this journal cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful results from all the techniques you used here Karen - love all the colors you used on your mandala cover and bright layered flowers! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julia I appreciate you taking the time to check it out!

      Delete
  6. Awesome, I love all the colors and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mixed media folio is next,,,,,loved the idea of mandala stencil....will give it a go.....i need the THoltz sprays...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...