Monday, June 8, 2020

Recycled Tag Art Using Darkroom Door


Hello Topflight Stamp Fans, let's make recycled tags!!! I was feeling Monday mix media-ish today & decided to pull out one of my 1000 tags from packaging that I save & hoard. I love, love tags and tend to stash them but today is the day to create using one as a base. I decided to play with more of my Darkroom Door Stamps. If you want some great inspiration their blog is full of it!
 

This tag has techniques that are great for an art journal page, full size planner page or art card. I wanted to add some photos from a recent mental health drive. It looks so peaceful but turned out to be quite the crazy adventure. There is plenty of room on the back to journal. *the supply list at the end of the post & if you go to my Topflight post there are pictures of the stamps with links too. Remember karenbearse code saves you 12%



Where To Start

My first job was to choose a tag out of my vast collection of saved treasures. Do you do save the packaging when you buy your scrappy fun? Do you wish you actually used some of the tags you saved? If you said yes then you are right with me!! If you save & use tags well done you. If you don't save at least some what are you waiting for LOL. Seriously you can also do this with a plain tag too!  




Gesso Is Your Friend


Step 1: I don't want to completely get rid of the images just push them back a bit. Plus it creates a more ink friendly background especially if the tag is a shiny surface. Gesso a few extra tags so you have some ready to grab. This is called batching, & saves time! If using a plain tag just stamp some random background images. 




Step 2: Add Random spritz's of Glimmer Mist. Even though I used red & green which can make mud just keep the colors a bit apart & you will be OK. Love how the spray picked up the texture of the gesso! Air dry or use a heat gun.



Step 3: Add some random background stamping with archival ink. That allows for more wet media to be used without worrying about smudging. 
Step 4: Lava Paste! Scrape some through a stencil & then use a heat gun to set the paste- it will bubble up and then harden when cool. If using a boarder stencil, use masking tape to isolate the part you want to use. Creates some really cool lava like texture. If you don't want it to puff up just let it air dry but it dries clear. If you just want white but not a lot of puff, heat for less time. This product dries fairly quickly which is great for mixed media. 


Batch Creating

Step 5: Darkroom Door has all these great sentiment stamps with multiple phrases on them. I stamped out a few, again so I have some ready to grab. 




Step 6: The sentiments fit quite nicely in some of the "Lots of Labels" set. This is how I made my super cool quote. The label was stamped with pigment ink & heat embossed. 



Made a few of all the things cause...saving time! Dang should have thought to make multiple colors!!!



Step 7: Cut out the inside of the label & adhere the quote behind it. This way I can pop any quote in without worrying about messing up! 



Step 8:  Add ink to ribbon (Apple Green Glimmer Mist) & let dry while finishing the details. You can add photos, focal stamped image, collage image. For mine photos were added, as well as bling on the label box. I also added the hand from the label set. Why do I feel the need to get any set that has that hand? 



This tag is going to go in my planner. The back side has lined, distressed paper with a few stamps for documenting the story. Thanks for joining me today. I hope you are healthy, safe & have a little time to escape with some art.

Supplies:
For product photos with links.
Darkroom Door Stamps- Adventure (Sentiment), Lots of Labels, 
Texture Stamp- Alphabet
"                " Stencils- Grunge Borders 
Prism Ink in Thundercloud, & Peacock Green.
IndigoBlu Gesso
Glimmer Mist in Apple Green, Cherry Pie & Glamour Gold
Lava Paste
Eileen Hull emboss in Aqua Splash
Diamond Sparkles - Green

2 comments:

  1. Great post and tutorial, Karen! I get tired sometimes of shipping tags so I forget to re-upcycle packaging. And I even have a few different slit and tag topper punches too. XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Aimeslee!! Right & it is fun to use up the stash! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...