Monday, July 1, 2019

Batik Notebook with Topflight Stamps

Hello I am here today making a batik notebook using products from Topflight Stamps. I am so happy to be back on the this Design Team!! I will be coming to you 2-3x a month on the new Mix Media Monday. My goal is to bring you different mix media ways to use your stamps & the other fun products carried by TFS. 


For my first technique we are going to play with embossing powder, stamps & Infusions by PaperArtsy! I will be showing you the steps I used to make this fun Notebook. The paper was cut using Eileen Hull's Notebook die by Sizzix. 

I started with a piece of paper from Kaisercraft. You will want to use a piece of paper that has lots of small details or patterns, like a map or something like this one, lots of vintage ephemera. It should also be light in color. We are going to create a batik like pattern on top of it, so the images show through. Choose stamps/stencils that are not too detailed & have some open space that will let the patterns show through. 



Using an embossing ink pad, & stamps along with Eileen Hull's Glistening Glass powder. When heat set this powder looks like glass on top & will create a resist. I also used stencils & pressed the emboss ink stamp into the pattern, removed the stencil, then covered it with the Glistening Glass powder. Tap off the excess powder & use an embossing gun to heat. As this powder is chunky it is easier to heat set from underneath the paper so the crystals don't blow away. You are done when all the crystals are melted. 

Once the cover is cool & the powder set, it is time to add color. Sprinkle Infusions powder & add a spritz of water. The more water you add the more you activate the walnut or brown color crystals. I added a bit of water & dabbed up some of the brown spreading the color with a dry brush. Infusions are a really fun product, so spend some time playing with them first to get a hang of how they work.


Next let the color dry, you can add a bit of heat for this but not too much so as not to re-activate the embossing. Using a baby wipe clean off the embossed areas & the stamped/stenciled images will really pop. On the left side is the wet, the right side has been wiped up see how the images have that cool batik look.



You will also be able to see some of the pattern paper through the embossed images. This makes for a dynamic cover with lots of texture. tFeel free to finish off your book however you like. I cut & glued a 2nd notebook shape using paper to the inside. 



This helps give my book some stability. Punch 2 holes in the spine and use wax linen thread, to add a signature of papers. I also distressed the edges of the book using Patina Oxide emboss.  You can add charms & beads to the thread to add some fun!! Thanks for joining me today for Mix Media Monday on Topflight Stamps!!


Supplies:
Prism Embossing Ink Pad in Clear by Hunkydory
Stencils- Darkroom Door- Diamonds, Polka Dots
Eileen Hull: Glistening Glass Emboss Powder-Emerald Creek  
                 :Notebook die by Sizzix 
Seth Apter: Patina Oxide Emboss by Emerald Creek
PaperArtsy Infusions in Emerald Isle & Lemoncello 
Paper & Ephemera by Kaisercraft.   
 *Affiliate- some of these companies have given me product to use, play & experiment with. I tend to work with companies whose products I like so enjoy the inspiration.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations being back on the Top Flight team, they must be thrilled!

    Karen, your journal cover is stunning, I love the effect of the Infusions over the embossing, it looks fantastic (I must get my Infusions out and have a go at this). Great tutorial, as always too! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anne!!! I really appreciate that you always check out my stuff & are so encouraging. Yes it has been awhile since I played with infusions & they are so fun!!! Cheers

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...