Friday, April 20, 2012

Project Life and so it begins...


 OK it is official I have been dragged kicking & screaming in to doing Project Life. In case you live on another planet & haven't heard of Project Life just do a google search & bam you will get 1 zillion results. Or you could go Becky Higgins blog/site, the originator of this great idea. She has a great video that explains how, why, why, why...

My friend Angela was trying to drag me in, there are a lot of big name scrappers doing it, including some inky people whose pages are more inky cool. I resisted purely based on time. I have no time as it is why on earth would I take on one more thing. All I needed apparently was some of that awesome justification that allows us to jump in head first. I still resisted. Than one day my daughter and I were going through a box of old 1980's photos & ephemera. A small light bulb went off in my head. This is my history, my growing years and they are in a box. Wait a minute! It started innocently- what if I already had the photos & ephemera? Wouldn't that make the process take less time? What if I only used my stash so I could actually use the product I own? What if? 

Excited by this now glowing, bright, light bulb idea I immediately called Angela. Even though she too had gotten started & realized time was not available for this plan I was adamant, "we can do this, I have a plan on how to make the organization easier"... finally I used the old standby- "you got me into this, it's your fault". We agreed to meet up to work on this project weekly. I dragged out a bunch of my stash, paper I had to have at the time but gathers dust, my box of photos and ephemera. Lucky for me when I had pulled everything out of the magnetic, acid eating, destructo albums they were in I had kept things fairly organized. Also the photos... were still in good shape.

My first page which is at the beginning of this post is from 1991. I call it retro scrapbooking. It is kind of hard to work with photos that already exist, I had to make the pages fit the photos not the other way around. No way am I going to pull out negatives or scan & print, this is supposed to be simple (wait till next week when I will be eating those words). I still have to add journaling and "stuff" but it is a start. I felt empowered, like I had accomplished something, crossed something off my never ending list of things to do. Scrap September 2nd 1991-done, cross it off my list. Yay only 35 or soooo more years to go! With this album I am not scrapping a week per 2 page layout as is the norm for Project Life but I am scrapping events. My goal is to get some of my life archived fast-ish & simple with lots of photos so my kids can see where and who I was, and what I was up to. Story to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...