Monday, February 15, 2021

Mixed Media Mayhem with PaperArtsy

Hello Blogland, here today with an art journal page for Topflight Stamps. I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's or Galentine's Day!! Can you believe we are half way through February? Time is flying by so let's have some inky fun today. 

 



Magic The Art Journal Page.

I am having fun working in my Art By Marlene book. The pages are a good quality mixed media paper & I love that the page can be removed to work on. This page was created by letting go & just letting it happen. It may be too much what do you think? My background isn't really a back ground as there is so much going on. It could be considered a hot mess. I haven't decided yet, but it was so freeing to just keep adding whatever I felt like. That hasn't happened in a long time & it felt so so good! 


Start the page:

With a stencil & some modeling, lava or crackle paste. Let the paste dry completely. I decided to do some more experimenting with Lava Paste. Last time I heat set it & it got quite puffy. You can see that post here. This time I just let it dry naturally to see what would happen. It dried like a regular paste, mine is about a year old & it has gone a shell yellow color. If your paste color changes & you don't like it just add a layer of white gesso.

 Once my paste was totally dry, as in the next day dry. It was time to add some color! I dusted out some Infusions. A little goes along way. 

 

Color Pop with Infusions

Time to mist on some water. This was a quick video reel I put on my Instagram. I post there almost daily if you want to be up on all my shenanigans! Click the social media link on the right side of this page if you want to follow me!!


 

The paper was holding up pretty well but I decided to add some gesso to get a better foundation to add more Infusions. The difference is the Infusions move better on a surface with gesso as the ink sits on top of the paper giving more time to play & move the color around. 

 


How About Some Fun?!

Next up was some more dimension, adding some puzzle pieces. They don't add too much weight to your page which is a bonus. You can see the gesso covered up some of my Infusions but that is ok. Some paint was also dry brushed on. Realized that paint under the Infusions would add some good depth.

Time to add the Infusions back in. Mixed Media is all about the layers! Now we are getting somewhere. You can see the difference as the ink is moved around. Love how the ink brings out the textures created by the gesso, the wrinkles etc. You can see on the right how wetting & moving the paper helps spread the color. 

 

 Here are the paint colors I used, added some to the puzzle pieces as well.

 

Time To Fly 

Let's add some background stamping. This was done with Seth's fun zig zag sewing type stamp & Archival Ink. At this point I stopped thinking & just added whatever moved me. How about some embossing? Using the wonky popsicle stamp & Weathered Gold seemed a good place to start. 

 


Pulling out my swatch chart to decide what to emboss on the puzzle pieces was next. Sea of Tranquility seemed a good choice it is one of my favs. I used the number stamp from the set ESA17. This is also the set my title "Magic" comes from. 

 

I just used pieces of the stamp on each puzzle section. Love that random look it creates. Sea of Tranquility not only has a great name but the look once the emboss is heated is blue with flecks of teal, gold & white. So dynamic!


Let's hit those high points! Using Rich Copper wax & a hard piece of foam it was time to make that emboss pop. Simply scuff the wax across the raised parts of the embossing. Izink glaze in Cold Gold was scraped on with a spatula. This is a translucent glaze that creates luscious dimension. A bit of the Whiskey Frost was also added. It gives a honey looking glaze to your project. 


Time for a Focal Image. 

To create the cool hand more layers were created. Guess I was in a layering mood! 1st stamp with archival ink. The large jumble background stamp from the Journey set was used. 2nd stamp on top of this using a translucent emboss. Not sure what color to use so 2 samples were made the right side with Maize & the one that was used on the page, in Crimson. Love how the text shows through- so cool. The hand was cut out & then I went one step further. 
 
 
3rd was to stamp the sketchy bullseye from that same set & emboss with Crusty Copper. SO MUCH FUN!!! Careful when heating this 2nd emboss so the image doesn't blend into the other glaze layer. Just start & stop when the image starts to move, repeat until you are happy. Add some edging with a pen if you want. 


Time to wrap this crazy up!!! Last few steps were to stamp & cut my title Magic. Magic & the hand were adhered with foam squares. Page re-enforcers were made by adding Crusty Copper directly on Double sided adhesive mounted on card stock & heat set. Once cool they were run through my Sizzix Sidekick. The perfect finish to this awesome art session.
 
 
Thanks so much for joining me today!! I hope you are inspired to have your own messy art session! Until next time!!

Supplies: 

*remember use the code karenbearse @topflightstamps to save 12%.

  •  Seth Apter Stamps by PaperArtsy: The Hand-EM37
  • "                       "      zig zag Sewing- EM54
  • "                       " wonky popsicle EM52 
  • "                        ' Magic Set ESA17 
  • "                        " Journey Set ESA13
  • Seth Apter Emboss by WOW in Crusty Copper & Weathered Gold from the Metalz Trio & Sea Of Tranquility from Cosmic Trio
  • Sara Naumann stencil  by PaperArtsy PS204
  • Fresco Finish Paint by PaperArtsy in 
  • Infusions -  Black Current, A Touch of Jade
  • Gee-Sso Good by Indigo Blu
  • Lava Paste 
  • Seth Apter Izink Ice in Cold Gold, & Whiskey Frost
  • Prima Rich Copper Wax 
  • Foam Squares & Double Sided Adhesive by Thermoweb

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...