Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Organizer Using Eileen Hull Gift Box Diecut

Hello Blogland, I have been busy playing with one of Eileen Hull's newest dies from the Sizzix, Chapter 1, 2020 release, the Gift Box w/ scallop. This diecut has the potential to make all sorts of creations.  *Affiliate- some of these companies have given me product to use, play & experiment with. The ideas are my own but I tend to work with companies whose products I like so enjoy the inspiration. **some of these links are affiliate, I receive a small percentage from the company at no cost to you. This helps me deliver free content!


I decided to make an organizer for my cards. I have been creating a lot of cards for junk journals & my planner lately. It is nice to have somewhere to store them that is also pretty!! I could also use this for project life cards, or planner tags etc. I may have to make more as this was pretty simple to do!


Let's get started. First step was to choose this beautiful paper line by Stamperia- Imagine. Cover 2 (6x12) mat board pieces with double sided adhesive & the paper. I wanted my scrapbook paper to be on the inside of my box. This means when running the piece through the Big Shot, put it paper side up. Cut out 2 Gift Boxes pieces.



Bend the scored areas by putting them on the edge of a table and folding. That breaks the paper fibers at the same time, creating a nice score line. Assemble the box so the edges overlap. In this photo you can see the tabs, I cut them off as they aren't needed. At this stage your box will not have a bottom or base to it that comes later.



Arrange the box pieces like this & clip them together putting the cards in the box is an easy way to get the sizing is right. 


Mark where the mat board overlaps & should line up & use redline tape to glue them. Make sure the paper is on the inside of the box & plain mat board on the outside.



Next up was to decorate the outside of my box. I started by adding strips of book papers. I used a good glue stick for this like Uhu. It is low moisture so the papers won't warp & neither will the mat board. 


Follow this up by adding random stamping using Archival Ink, you want a waterproof ink that will dry permanent. 


Time to add the fun stuff!! Tear pieces of tissue paper  & add on with the glue stick. The book paper words & the stamping will show through as tissue is translucent. Peel the white paper from decorative napkins & cut or carefully tear the images you want & add them on as well. 



You can also add strips of washi tape to add even more images & really get that junk journal look.  

Time to make a base for our box to sit on! Cut a piece of mat board to create the base. I cut mine 7" x 5 1/2", so there would be room to create a lip. I want to be able to place cards that are in progress in front of my box. Cover with paper.   

Once walls of the box is done adhere it to the base using redline 1/8" tape along the bottom edges of the box. Place the walls of the box carefully onto the base. The redline tape really creates a secure hold. 


I decided to add the scallop piece from the diecut to create interest & added the metal saying. This will help hold cards in front of the box as I work on them. I wrapped some washi tape over to help secure it & leave a nice looking edge. 


The clip with more nummy Tim Holtz metal was also added just to give it that extra something, something. You can see here how the base of the box is about a 1/4" larger on the sides to give it more stability & has a 1' shelf so cards can fit there. 

Thanks so much for joining me today!! I hope you get a chance to make one of these fabulous organizer boxes. If you do be sure to post a pic in the Eileen Hull Fan Club on Facebook. We love to see what you are creating! The links below are affiliate which help me bring content at not cost to you. If you want to support this blog in another way clicking on the store links on the right side of my blog help too! Thanks so much for taking the time to check out my tutorial.

Supplies: 

14 comments:

  1. awesome! love your Gift Box hack Karen. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful storage box you created for your pages Karen! Great collage of various types of papers on the outside and beautiful DP on the inside - the scallop piece is a great idea on the front and the metal pieces add lovely appeal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful ... such creative use of the box die and I LoVE the use of the scallop are the front for WIP. Fabulous my lovely friend x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative Karen! That never even occurred to me! (and very pretty, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great vintagy project! Love the idea of the scallop piece in front for cards. Sweet! TFS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen, this is brilliant! Something everyone can use and enjoy. Thank you so much for sharing such an awesome tutorial and creation, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to check out my tutorial Aimeslee!!

      Delete
  7. I LOVE this!!! If I would clean the top of my workspace, this would be perfect for keeping my cards in a safe place! (I’m going to bug Ronnie about doing a class on this.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kat!! I will think about a class- such peer pressure!!! heehee

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...