Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Christmas Junk Journal Organizer with Eileen Hull's Pocket Notebook

Hello Blogland, I am here today with Part 1 of a Christmas Organizer using Eileen Hull's Pocket Notebook. This is a project that I have had in my brain for literally years, or a variation of it anyway. As November has hit the Inspiration Team are working on holiday projects so grab your favorite beverage- coffee, spiced cider or wine depending on the time of day!


Here is my finished book cover. This is a definite case of having an idea in your head with no idea if it will work out in practice. The best part for you is I will have a list of what I would do different next time, as I did come across some challenges along the way. 



I wanted this book cover to be made of fabric with quilt like padding but sturdy enough that it could hold many pages & end up being a chunky junk journal. I set off on this journey with some luscious Tim Holtz fabric. It is not Christmas themed but has the potential with the map, postage & package labels... love it! Here is the back of my book. Directly below in red is what I would do differently. If you are making a book read the steps 1st & in red see how I would fix my challenges & do things differently.  


I am entering this in the Mini Album Makers Challenge this month. 


 *I would change the way I make the next book. I think I would fuse the fleece to the inside papers & cut the covers using the die. Next assemble the book covers as usual. Then hand cut the fabric larger than the book & adhere the fabric with double sided adhesive, leaving a 1/4" around the edges so I am not sewing through the adhesive. Another option to solve this problem would be distressing the edges or adding something around the edges like lace. 



Step 1: Carry on this way if the edges don't bother you & you want the look I achieved. Cut a piece of fabric large enough to cut 2 book covers out of & iron on the Therm*O*Web Heat n Bond Fusible Fleece. Follow the directions on the packaging. This will be the outer layer of our book. 


Step 2: Cut 4 pieces of book paper or newspaper (this will be sandwiched on the inside of the book so it doesn't matter what it looks like). Cut 2 pieces of music paper being careful with the direction- ie: cut one piece with the holes on the left & one with the holes on the right so when you put your book together the music & words are the right way up. Adhere 3 pages together either with a glue stick or double sided adhesive keeping the glue away from the edges so you won't sew through glue. Make sure the music paper is on top to create the inside covers. 


Assemble the 2 covers using Red Liner Tape along one of the middle edges & lining up the middle hole.


Sew around the cover. *this is what it would look like if you are using the other method. The cover would be sewn from the inside of the book. It will be necessary to  re-punch the holes through the fabric with a cropodile. Follow the rest of the directions as normal.


Here is my book after the edges have been sewn.



Step 3: At this point I felt my spine needed some re-enforcement so I cut a piece of mat board to fit inside the spine, covered it with double sided adhesive & fabric. I went with fabric, tearing instead of cutting it about 1/2" wider then the board. Just a design decision. Alternatively you could also paint the mat board or cover it in paper. 


Adhere & then re-punch the holes using a cropodile or punch, don't worry if you can't see the holes very well because of the fabric & the batting. Hot Tip- fabric only tears in one direction you may have to cut it & fray by pulling at the strands along the edges. Also cut your fabric a little longer as well so the mat board doesn't show. The base of our book is done!!! Now it is time to decorate. 


I had the hardest time trying to figure out what to put on my cover! I had ideas of die cut corrugated deer, Santa ephemera or junk journal type ephemera. Nothing was working, I think in part I did not want to cover up the fabric. Finally I went with a combo of digital ephemera & die cuts. I am really happy with how this turned out!



Here is part 2 in the series you can find it here. This one is a tutorial on how to create tags, pockets etc to build the ephemera for the book. Next month I will work more on the inside Junk Journal pages, the binding & theme of the book.I hope you have a chance to get inky today!



Part 3 is up! It includes how to make the 1st book which is a December Journal booklet

Supplies:
Eileen Hull Pocket Notebook die by Sizzix 
Tim Holtz Snowflake, Tree & Deer dies by Sizzix
HeatnBond Fusible Fleece by Therm*O*Web
Double Sided Adhesive & RedLiner Tape by Therm*O*Web
Fabric & Christmas Ephemera by Tim Holtz
Owl Digital Tickets by Artymaze
Flowers by Prima Marketing
Distress Oxide in Gathered Twig by Ranger

23 comments:

  1. It's a stunner! You are going to make me get my sewing machine working girl - this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Suzie! Glad I could inspire & good luck with that sewing machine- my relationship with mine is shaky as you know!

      Delete
  2. this turned out so wonderfully Karen! Thanks for all the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa- yes mistakes make for good blogging!

      Delete
  3. Well, needless to say, I just adore the fabric! Your Christmas Organiser is gorgeous Karen and I think you have decorated it beautifully! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anne!!! I think it is a newer one. Hug right back at cha!

      Delete
  4. what a lovely fabric covered book Karen! love the patterns you used - thanks for all the tips of problems you encountered and would change! I think that happens with me on everything I make - you never know until you try it right?! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for Julia! I know right what works in my head doesn't always seem to transfer! Yes trying is the best way to figure this stuff out.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh Karen! This is so very gorgeous! I love the texture and vintage vibe. <3 Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just popped back to say a huge thank you for joining in with us at Mini Album Makers! Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just say how fantastic this is! I think it’s great as is. I wish I had made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Michelle, I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  8. An amazing cover Karen - it really has a wonderful vintage look to it. I love that you shared how you learnt along the way - it happens to me all the time! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jennie! Yes hopefully passing on the mistakes makes it easier for someone else & we designers learn A LOT!!

      Delete
  9. LOVE how this has come together Karen! You have really Christmasified the fabric beautifully and I love your choice of ephemera, die cuts and embellishments to make it even more special. Thank you for sharing your how to - it's always so good to pick up tips and techniques for different ways of using the die xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jenny for taking the time to check this out. Love these book dies! I know you do too!!

      Delete
  10. This is beautiful! Thanks for passing along your findings so we can skip the mistakes �� (we will just make different ones)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eileen- & yes then you can pass on the wisdom on the new mistakes!

      Delete
  11. I love this Karen! I really appreciate that you gave us the “I’d do differently” tips. That really helps! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much Karen, glad I could inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...