Monday, August 27, 2018

"Get Wrapped" Blog Hop Eileen Hull & Friends

Hello Happy, Inky Friends, I am here today playing with some of my favorite people & their awesome products!!! I am jumping into a blog hop with the amazing Seth Apter (artist, designer, teacher, blogger) the dynamic Kim Evans owner/designer & mad scientist of incredible embossing powders Emerald Creek & the brilliant Sizzix designer & teacher Eileen Hull. I am also very lucky & honored to call them friends. If you know me you know this combination of products is perfect!

Let's Get Wrapped Blog Contest!

We are blog hopping with some amazing people today all in the name of fun, and cross brand creativity. 
Of course there will be a prize pack valued over $150 USD from PaperArtsy, Seth Apter, Eileen Hull & Emerald Creek.

To be entered you must pop by and comment on each of the blog posts. 
(We don't want you to miss any of the tips and tricks.)

Contest closes Aug 29th at midnight and a winner will be announced Aug 30th, 2018.


The design theme for this blog hop is Get Wrapped & we are using Eileen Hull's Wrap Journal book!! I had so much fun playing & making this book, I love how it turned out. I am planning a second post as I work on the inside of the project! Let's see how this book was created!



This is what my desk looked like as I was blogging, after the carnage of creating!!! Between these 3 designers there are so many products to choose from & I used a lot. You may need to sit down with a cup of coffee or you can play along, there are quite a few steps. Also if you like journals you will definitely want to hop along & see what every one else it making, there is a hop list at the bottom of this post.



I started the Eileen Hull Wrap Journal, by die cutting a piece of mat board. I covered it with a light coat of Super Heavy Gesso, leaving some small spots open on purpose, to create an uneven coat. Then using some of Seth's stamps I pressed them into the gesso which left an impression behind. You get a better impression if the gesso coat is thinner & bonus it dries quicker. Wash the stamps immediately using a tooth brush & warm water to get the gesso off.


Next was a coat of paint. PaperArtsy makes this wonderful Fresco Finish Chalk Paint. Using Spanish Mulberry, one of Seth's newer colors I mixed it with Acrylic Glaze, 50/50 ratio. *This is a favorite technique of Donna Downey's. Covering the outside of my book with the glaze & then wiping back the paint until I had the desired color. The paint sits in the debossed image area, making it pop.


I decided to darken it up a bit so added another coat of the paint/glaze mix, wiping back as before with a baby wipe. Ah better, the color is darker but I still have great texture. Distress the edges using Seth's Blue Lagoon created a pretty blue/purple edging. 



One of my favorite Emerald Creek products is Fractured Ice. It takes on the color of what ever is underneath by looking like a layer of ice on top that has oil in it. Like ice on asphalt, with some sparkle- frickin brilliant. I added this on my spine, which bonus gives the spine extra strength.



Time for embellishments!! Let's make a cool grungy butterfly. Using the butterfly die from Eileen's Bird & Butterfly set I cut it out of corrugated cardboard. Pull off some of the top layer of cardboard revealing the texture. Paint the piece with Seth's Double Denim paint. Once dry, ink using an embossing pad & emboss with Seth's Rocky Road & Burnt Copper Leaves by Emerald Creek. Love, love how this turned out. Imagine just pulling out dies & making these- hum good idea! *I also added the Burnt Copper emboss to the key, (on the finished cover) which adds a vintage look to it.


Next I took a piece of card stock & painted it in the aptly named Butter, such a pretty pale yellow. Then the card was stamped using one of Seth's new stamps. After that the piece was cut with Eileen's newest flower die, the bonus is with one cut you get a zillion flower pieces & a star. If you want to see what I do with extra die cuts as I create, check out my newest die cut organizer. It is a tutorial on another book that houses my extra die cuts in one place so I can always find them! 

The final flourish was to emboss with Seth's Ancient Amber and add a tiny brad to the middle. This embellishment looked so cool, I decided to make another. Using some left over Gel Press paper from the inside cover (further down in the tutorial) & one of Seth's stencils, I added embossing ink through the stencil using a piece of foam. Next I poured some of Seth's Deep Sea powder, heat set it & cut it out to create this cool bullseye piece. I added the star which was created with the flowers. OK I may love these. 


Before gluing down anything on the cover we need to work on the inside. However, something I keep forgetting, is to figure out my closure before gluing everything down. It completely changes the cover placement potentially. Once you know everything that is going on the cover, you can decide if it needs to be placed before the inside cover papers. For example on this book I should have added my handle before gluing down my paper on the inside. The paper would have hid the back of the brads. Now I have to be clever & add a pocket, washi or embellishment to cover them up. 



For the inside covering the flaps in paper seemed a good way to go. I took white card stock & created paper using a Gel Press & more of Seth's paint.



I tried a few color combos, this combo was used for the inside covers, some to make the embellishments & some will be cut to make tags etc. for the inside of the books.  



Using a foam piece, more paint, plus a few of Seth's stencils, I decorated the paper.  After painting the background inside of the book using spots of Double Denim & then Blue Lagoon, the paper was cut to fit & adhered. 



Some stamping was added just for fun using Eileen's ColorBox Blends. It really is amazing to watch as the piece changes with each layer! 



Time to string the book & add the embellishments, we are almost there!! I did a video recently on how to string a journal which you can see above. In that video I was stringing only 3 holes but the principal is the same. I did a hidden binding using a piece of grey 1mm elastic. 


The only thing left was to finish adhering details like my closure, a title, & some charms. I added books to the inside but we will get to that another time. Thanks so much for joining me today! Please join us in this hop and see what other awesome-ness has been created! Follow my blog as I will be doing some posts showing you the inside, or subscribe to my Instagram which hask  all the updates.

 Hot Tips:
  1. To add metal embellishments on an embossed surface, heat the embossing until it looks a bit fluid & press the embellie into the emboss & hold while the powder cools. 
  2. Figure out how you will add a closure on the book before gluing anything down. You will potentially want to add eyelets or screws etc. Knowing where the closure will go may drastically change the placement of embellishments on the cover. Also this way you can hide any mechanics like the ends of brads on the inside of you book with paper. 
  3. If you get stuck, like I did trying to figure out a closure after gluing everything down. Stop & walk away,  let your mind work on it while you do something else. The solution may come a lot faster then if you sit at your desk staring at it!

Get Wrapped Hop with Eileen Hull, Emerald Creek & Seth Apter: I hope you hop around!!!

 Eileen Hull
 Kim Evans
 Debi Adams
 Josefine Fourage
 Susie Bentz
 Linda Cain
 Karla Yungwirth
 Jenny Marples
 Amanda Pink
Livia Yellowbird
 Karen Bearse- you are here
Alison Bomber
Nora Paolini
Tonya Trantham
Emma Williams
 Peg Robinson
 Maggi Harding
Stephanie Eaton

Supplies:
*Some of the products for this blog post were donated by the companies represented. The crazy ideas, all mine!

 

114 comments:

  1. I like the way you mixed the fresco finish chalk paint with acrylic glaze 50/50.It´s the perfect way to color the plain matboard,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen...I am running out of words to describe how much I love your projects!! This journal is gorgeous and so many tips for us to learn! 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours you have put together. Thanks for lots of great tips too. I will have to try stamping in my gesso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really fabulous blog hop and you have certainly done Eileen, Kim and Seth proud with this gorgeous journal. Your use of colour is always so impressive and I love how you always share your tips and techniques Karen - I love this so much!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great journal! Love the Paper Artsy images and your use of Seth's powders. This turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful journal covers and stunning pages x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful journal cover. Thanks so much for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Karen, such a pretty journal! The colors on the cover you chose are muted just enough and so lovely- reminds me of a flower garden.
    I also love that spine and it's embossing- wow- so beautiful!
    Happy stamping inside the covers makes for a complete journal! Thanks so much for sharing!
    hugs,Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great journal ! Very inspiring !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Wow!! Love the colors. When you added the black-it pops!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right that fractured ice is as awesome as your journal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like all the texture and color. Great video. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing the process too. I have to pin it for future inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the effect you achieved with the heavy gesso and stamping into it! Gorgeous project! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant Karen!!! Lots of great techniques and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just love all the texture in your book. And thank you for the first tip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Art Karen! So cool how you pressed the stamps into the gesso!*☆♡☆* I need to get me some of that fractured ice! Sweet closure! Thank you for the Hot Tips!♡

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the stamp Ian gesso tip! Learning so much and loved the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always share so many techniques that I can't wait to read your blog posts! I love the way you created texture on the cover with the stamping in gesso and then added more with the embossing powder. Definitely gonna try the glaze mix technique, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful journal and techniques. It's lovely <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the contrast between the inner and outer sides of the journal. Great explanation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. good explanation of how you made it :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome journal with a lot of color and techniques. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never thought to use the gel plate thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay! Another way to use my gelli plate

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love words and that yours overlaps the flap for a different type of closure

    ReplyDelete
  27. I also love the contrast from inside to outside. Great color palette! T

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic. Great idea to
    use the corrugated paper to
    make the butterfly. Would
    have never thought of that.
    thanks for sharing
    txmlhl(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous surface texture highlighted by the glazing, and I love that shimmering butterfly. So wild inside too! What an amazing hop - it's lovely to be a part of it.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the colors you used, and the embellishments - especially the little handle on the front!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So many beautiful colors in this! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great journal Karen! wonderful colors, stampings and embossings!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Really like the subtle text and graphics on the pink background!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really enjoy seeing how you added all of the 3D elements! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am going to get some fractured ice, love the effects.

    ReplyDelete
  36. So intrigued by your embellishment collection, such a fun addition to your wrap. Aaah... great tutorial for stringing too > I always wondered how to do it !

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, awesome journal! Amazing layers of element, each bringing something fantastic to the end result. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amazing textures and details. Love this. Thanks for sharing. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  39. I never fail to be amazed by the freedom with which you create and the gorgeous results. Stamping into the paste - of course! The paint then brings it all to life. And then you go and bring it to life even more with the embossing. LOVE it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gorgeous colours, love the video on stringing the journal as well with the passport spine cut in half - genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Lots of fun ideas come to mind! Had to laugh at your table - looks like mine! LOL!! Fractured Ice sounds intriguing :) And your HOT TIPS are helpful + appreciated - thanks! Great inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh, my! Love the boldness of the inside cover, along with all the stamping, stenciling, embossing on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just beautiful! The colors and techniques are so creative.
    Thank you.
    suzschultz72352(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love the fractured ice effect on your journal Karen. Thanks for sharing your creativity. xx

    ReplyDelete
  45. SO beautiful! I love that butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  46. so veey lovely ... thanks for shsring all of your awesome tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love the tip about the closure. I am always forgetting to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is a beaut Karen. Loving all the embellishments and the details that you added. Thanks so9 much for being a part of this blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Isn't it fun to mak a big mess on the desk. Love your creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Fantastic project! I love the butterfly and the enclosure pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love this book! So many fun pops of color and awesome butterfly. Thanks for posting some tips, they are so true and helpful. Thanks so much!Kim

    ReplyDelete
  52. Here's a gmail I didn't know I had!Ha! I also watched how you made your die holder thank you plus this project is beautiful! Sorry I don't know how to get the gmail but I will try to subscribe to you with my yahoo. I guess I,m more lost than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  53. A gorgeous album Karen, love the colours and the way you have embellished it! Great use of all those wonderful products!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love the bling! So much dangle and texture. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Love the backgrounds you have created with those gorgeous paint colours. Perfect for your wonderfully textured embellishments. Thanks for the 'hot tips' too x

    ReplyDelete
  56. Totally fabulous. Especially loved the stamping into gesso and the glazing layer.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Absolutely fab! Can’t go wrong with Parisian influences😀

    ReplyDelete
  58. Karen, I have been looking forward to arriving at your post along the hop, and I am so happy that I am finally here! I love the way that your stamping into the gesso looks, especially after adding the glaze/paint mixture! Its gorgeous. I too am one who gets going with a project and neglects to add the embellishment that needs concealing on the backside before I add the backside...I have learned that creative solutions can be found once you take a break, but oh how I wish I could think ahead! This is such a lovely journal, I really like the inside as well! The powders on the embellishment look really awesome. Looking forward to seeing more of the inside later! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Karen, i loved that you used the gel press directly to the journal! I can't wait to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Fabulous journal!! LOVE the butterfly!!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I hadn't considered embedding an embellishment directly into hot embossing powered. I'll have to try that. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  62. Love this journal, Karen! And, I watched your video and want to thank you for the tip for using two signatures. Your instructions were very clear and now I feel that I can try this technique myself!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Fantastic project, beautifully decorated and love the inside too. Love the fractured ice effect.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Beautiful journal, love the color together and all your tips and techniques. Thanks for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Love all the different techniques you demonstrated. Can't wait to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Great wrap for your journal. Love the deboss technique, has such a wonderful effect.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I'm getting information overload, but love your version of the journal. Thanks for those extra tips. I keep forgetting my clisurestoo. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  68. Beautiful journal Karen! Love your take and thank you for the inspiration and the tips! Hugs ❤

    ReplyDelete
  69. I love the colours of your book and the found objects, really enjoying all the different styles in this blog hop! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  70. Oh My! Love those colours! Brilliant butterfly! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  71. excellent tips!!!! and... fractured ice is now on my must have list! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  72. So nice...Love what you did w/flower die and they look like they're really made of metal! Love this journal. :) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  73. You're the first one in the hop to incorporate gel print paper. Great tips, especially thinking about placement of the closure.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Love your artsy style. Way cool how you added the embellishment and the charms.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Great insight into dealing with a problem you had bc you glued down the paper before making the enclosure. That’s one reason I love doing mixed media- you can come up with plan B. The color choices for your journal are great, and the stencils sizes of the letters and numbers emphasize how small the actual book is. Definitely want to see what’s inside, so signing on to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Oh my gosh! I’m so inspired. I HAVE TO make one of these! Love all the products and your use of them in this gorgeous journal is fabulous!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Thank you for showing how to use so many of the products. As a beginner I love seeing the combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Fabulous--I like the embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Love the brayered background technique and all the little details and embellishments. Excellent little book!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  80. Your journal is fabulous, Karen and lots of hints and tips thrown in too. Love how the paint, glaze mix highlights all the texture you laid down at the start . I'm sold on the Fractured Ice - how cool is its effect! As for all the insides - being a big Seth fan I love it. Great to be on the hop with you x

    ReplyDelete
  81. Love your journal. The colors along with the pretty elements just make this a sweet journal.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Simply gorgeous! Love the colors and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  83. Truly lovely love the bold colour combo

    ReplyDelete
  84. This is so pretty Karen, great use of the colours. Congratulations on being part of the blog hop and have a very happy week, Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  85. Thanks so much for the great tutorial on stringing the journals and showing how to enlarge them. Very helpful, beautiful journal.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Thanks so much for the tutorial. You have been very helpful to a newbie.🦋

    ReplyDelete
  87. Beautiful journal! Fractured Ice is my favourite embossing powder!

    ReplyDelete
  88. So many textures and patterns on this journal. I love it! A beautiful journal.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  89. Your butterfly from corrugated cardboard is genius! Great job on the textures on the project.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Fun! I'll definitely stay tuned to see the inside pages. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  91. I learned so much on the binding. Thanks for sharing. Your journal is awesome. I hopped over to this site and so happy that I did. Hope to win to as the products are awesome along wirh the artist!!

    ReplyDelete
  92. I love the contrast of grunge and feminine color! Also, thank you for being one of the ones to post a YouTube! It helps alot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  93. Fantastic journal, Karen! I appreciate the tutorial very much and plan to try that paint/glaze technique. How fascinating that each of you in this blog hop was given roughly the same materials and came up with such wholly different art... Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  94. Oh, I love the cool embellishment on this wrap journal. Fantastic textures Karen. I am loving this blog hop... so many great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  95. So colorful and happy. Great tip to press stamps into the heavy gesso.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Love all the pops of color and the embellishments!

    ReplyDelete
  97. Love the techniques, the colors and textures. They came together in such a nice journal with all those lovely embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Oh so gorgeous!! I love the amazing butterfly, the wonderful layers and the sweet charm!

    ReplyDelete
  99. Wow! Beautiful project!!! Love the details and the choice of colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  100. Love this- so many cool layers and techniques adding up into one amazing Journal! Thanks for being part of the hop- I owe you :-) <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...