Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Sizzix Diecut Organizer with Eileen Hull Journal

Hello die cutting fans, today I am making a Sizzix die organizer using Eileen Hull's Passport die. If you are anything like me you may find yourself with either lots of unused dies and/or lots of die cuts that you can never find when you need them. You may also have lots of dies but find when it is time to add one, pulling everything out is too daunting. Either way you may not be using your die cuts to their potential! 



I am here to change that with an organizer that is functional, fun & easy to make! A pretty place to store your die cuts so you can batch cut & have easy quick access when you need to find that special flower, butterfly, or tag...plus it is full of color & looks great sitting near your desk. 



Inside my journal I added photo albums to store my die cuts. There are plenty of spaces to add to this collection & it will be easy to see my cuts if I need to pull any out to pop them on my projects. Let's get started!


Start by cutting a spine using the Passport die. Cut 1 spine piece using the Passport die & cut this piece in half. This technique allows you to create a book in whatever size you want. The signatures of this book are soft covered mini photo albums that fit 4x6 pictures. I cut 2 pieces of mat board larger than the front of the books, it ended up measuring 5 1/4"x 7".


Using Eileen's color blends spritz the mat board with a very light spritz of water & color both side of the spine. The water helps the ink to blend smoothly. I used a paper palette to get the colors flowing. Create the outside covers the same way using random color with the Color Blends. Add to the covers with stamped images. I will adhere paper to the inside of the covers so there is no need to color the other side. 


I wanted to add some foiling to the covers. Place down a stencil & using Deco Foil Transfer Gel, scrape a layer with a palette knife. Set aside until the gel goes from white to clear,it will take 30 minutes to an hour. 


Heat your laminator so it is warm-10 minutes. Place pieces of foil over the raised gel area. I chose to use different colors, in keeping with my cover.



Place the cover between a folded piece of parchment paper & send it through the laminator, the folded side first. 



Peel off the foil & voila you will have a raised foiled image- very cool. Here is a little sneak-gotta love the shimmer & how metallic sparkle the images turned & because I used different color strips the colors are very dynamic. 



I did the spine using the same technique.

Next I decided to add a name plate to the cover using one of Therm*O*Web's Clear Designer Transfer Sheets. I die cut "Doodles" & "Distressed Lines" using Eileen's Journal die. This die comes with 3 other images, a tab, hinge & book plate. I ran it through the laminator per the instructions using the Fancy Foils in Glittering Green- this foil has the look of embedded sequins- very different. 
Once the foil was pulled off, the swirly circle image was covered in foil on a transparent sheet. This piece I backed with paper cut from the same die shape & adhered with brads. The whole thing is very shimmery like the circle on the far left. Hummm the potential for fun with these sheets is great & they come in many different flavors!!   


Next up was paper from Dylusions Creative Dyary, they are pre-printed with Dyan Reaveley's fabulous backgrounds. I tear them out of the book & use them in other projects. They were used for the inside covers, pocket, & name plate. I also cut them & added a Dylusions stamp and then a quote for the first page of every book. I made 3 books but realized they are pretty thick so there is really only room for 2 with the idea the books will expand as I add die cut shapes in the sleeves.



All that was left was to string my book & add a closure. I get a lot of questions on how to string these books especially when the elastic is hidden from the spine so I did a video on 2 different ways to string the book. 


The final touch was to add a title. I used a Sizzix Thinlet from Eileen's set Book Plate Hinge & Label to add a title. The die is being held down by Therm O Web's purple tape, which is perfect to hold your paper down when you die cut & easily pulls up without damaging the paper. 


Here is a shot of the title added on & a good view of the foiled images! I hope you enjoyed this project, leave me a comment & take time to make one yourself!! Have a great inky day. 

*this post was sponsored with product from Eileen Hull Designs by Sizzix & Therm*O*Web* thanks to these companies I can bring you this fun project!
 

13 comments:

  1. Karen, this is AMAZING! And what a good idea! I hope you will teach a class on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Denise! Actually I am reworking it & it will be a class!

      Delete
  2. Loving your colourful journal Karen and that foiling technique is very effective! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anne!!! It is a fun technique.

      Delete
  3. What a clever way to use the binding for any size book Karen! Love your cover with all the bright colors and foiled images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julia, I really appreciate it!!

      Delete
  4. Very clever and such beautiful bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning! Such a lovely combination of colors and foil finishes on the covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn, it was fun to add the Thermoweb touches & the touches of foil really add a great pop of metallic shine!!

      Delete
  6. Karen i am in love with your work. What a fabulous idea to extend the spine, i think it is genius and soooo cuuuute. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...