Monday, March 4, 2019

My Games of Thrones Dragon Treasure Box with Eileen Hull.

I have a fabulous project today, my Dragon Treasure Box! Wow I cannot believe it has been 2 months since my last blog post!!! There has been a lot of rough going in my family the last few months so my focus has been with them. Today however I am back with a vengeance with a March project for the Inspiration team that I love on many fronts!! The theme for the month is "Spring Things" & what says spring more than DRAGONS!!!! Using  one of the newest Eileen Hull dies that is currently available... drum roll... the Treasure Box. What better way to showcase a treasure box than Dragons? The timing is fairly perfect as well with the amazing Games of Thrones HBO series returning on April 14th for the final season. I know I am not the only one who CAN NOT WAIT.


While endlessly waiting I thought what fun it would be to create this Dragon Box. This will be a 2 part post as there is a lot going on! First up the box... my inspiration for this entire project came from the dragon I bought. It is designed to go in one of those fairy gardens, I may have found a much better use for it. The back drop is a painting my daughter did & the little figure reminds me of the Children of the Forest.


Let's Get Started!

Step 1: Die cut 2 sets using the Treasure Box die, out of mat board. Set the rectangular pieces (that have no tabs) aside, these will go on the inside of the lid & of the box. Cover the tabbed mat board pieces outside with stencils & paste. Do not put product on the tabs of the pieces. I used Paper Texture by Prima as it gives a rough, gritty stone look. I also created the lid at this time cutting a piece of mat board 5.25x3.25 this will completely cover the top of the box lid and was an idea by team mate Susie Bentz over on My Time To Play.  


This lid was also stenciled with the paste & the dragon piece was pushed into the paste while wet. This will adhere the dragon piece very strongly to the lid. Set everything aside to dry. The pieces may warp during this time but will flatten out when dry. While you are doing this make an extra test piece on a left over piece of mat board so color experimentation can be done.This paste takes anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours to dry depending on thickness. Let dry naturally. 

Adding Color Blends 2

Step 2: Once the paste is completely dry, it is time for color. I did not want to add a lot of wet medium to this project in order to keep the integrity of the mat board. Start with your test piece. Put a drop on Blends 2 in Flagstone (perfect name too) on your craft mat & add a small spritz of water.Caution a little ink goes a long way. Apply the paint with a brush pushing the color into the cracks between stones. This is where you can experiment with the colors to see what your final piece can be. I added some Bay to a part of it as well. Then added some Ebony to get the dark between the stones & wiped the color back to bring back the grey. I do love my test piece & will keep that with notes on the back to remember how it was done.



Eileen's new ColorBox Blends 2 are great for projects like this. They are highly pigmented with a longer dry time that allows for blending. Keep adding colors until you have reached your happy place. In the end I kept my bricks are quite light as I was thinking of snow & ice as well as stone. Good thing I did a test piece!


I also added the smallest touch of Bay to have a hint of the ice blue that we see in the show Games of Thrones. I just wanted the faintest shadow so wiping back the color with a paper towel helped to achieve that. The fact that these paints stay wet longer is a huge help in this respect. Also remember a little goes a long way so start with a touch and you can always add layers. 


Hot Tip: with the left over paint run a tag through it, waste not! With the drips left on the mat tap the tag on top of the drips to give added fun. 


Decorate The Inside

Step 3: Add paper or color to the inside. I chose to cut my paper pieces individually, adhere them, and distress the edges with the Flagstone Color Blend. You only need to color the fold & about a 1/4" of the tabs.


Another alternative is to adhere the paper first to the mat board & cut using the die. Just cut with the mat board side down, paper side up. That way the paper will score correctly. 


Step 4: Assemble the box. I like to use SuperTape from Therm*O*Web for any mat board project that needs a really strong glue. Simply follow the directions on the packaging for glue placement. Basically the tape goes on the tabs. Here is a picture of the top of the box ready for the lid piece to go on. 


Cover the inside mat board piece that had been set aside (cut with the die) with paper, put SuperTape on the tabs, slide it securely into the bottom of the box. I covered mine with a map of Westeros that shows the Houses locations. I printed this out from a digital image found online. This one happens to originate from HBO but I found it on the site i09. You can find this and some scrolls here. 


Winter Is Coming

Step 5: Yes, got the quote in and it is time for ice! Lucky for me I had some icicles that were perfect for my Treasure Box. They did need a little something, something & metallic foil was the perfect touch. Simply rub some DecoFoil Adhesive (my well used bottle) on the outside of the icicles and let dry until clear & tacky. Place the foil color side up and rub. I left some of the clear plastic show through. Add a little bit of the plaster, sparingly to look like snow on the ice. Adhere using a strong glue.


There were some gaps in my assembly job, so I also added some more plaster using a spatula, which looks fabulously like frozen snow. Ice blue glass shards were pushed into  the plaster again as a shoot out to the show. Finally a dragon eye was adhered to the bottom piece of the box, which adds a wonderful touch but also helps center the lid on the bottom. The lid is quite heavy and this adds some stability. 



Stay tuned for next month where I give you the secret of what is in the box. I will be using a die of Eileen's that is being released in April.Please go check out what my team mates are up to there have been some great projects over on Eileen Hull's blog. Until next time!

Supplies:

Eileen Hull dies by Sizzix- Treasure Box
ColorBlends & ColorBlends 2 by Clearsnap - Flagstone, Bay & Ebony
Mat Board by Sizzix
PaperPaste - Finnabair by Prima 
Foil Adhesive, Foil sheets & SuperTape -Therm*O*Web
Icicles - TimHoltz
Brick Paper-Bo Bunny

16 comments:

  1. This is just amazing! All the texture and details - just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, I can't wait to get working on the inside.

      Delete
  3. You had me at Game of Thrones (my all time favourite programme ever and like you I cannot wait for the last series!) and I can get giddy just thinking about dragons. I love what you have done so far, the texture looks amazing and you have coloured it beautifully. That dragon eye is superb. I am looking forward to part 2!!

    I truly hope that things on the home front are getting better, nice to see you back my friend! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you & I need to just live closer! Thanks so much Anne!!

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, had me at GOT too! Cant wait for the show to come back! What a creative tribute. I love everything about it! Great! Thanks for sharing map site too! Did you ever see the movie 'Me Before You'? It has Denaris,mother of dragons as lead actress & your never know it's her. Hope home life settles down for you, Spring is just around the corner!
    TFS. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Roxanne!! I know right, can't wait & am scared to watch at the same time... Yes I saw Me Before You- so good but soooooo sad too. Yes cannot wait for spring! Take care.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous piece, Karen! Love how you incorporated Deco Foil on the icicles, so unique. I hope things are easing for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to check it out Dawn! Family is up & down, it will be awhile but we are getting through it!!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY DRAGONS! YAY GAME OF THRONES! Love it All! Jaw dropped when I saw the map inside! I instantly heard the theme music playing. So excited to see your next post. GREAT IDEAS & GREAT ART KAREN!♡ HUGS YOU ARE LOVED!*☆♡☆*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Thanks so much Jenn- I know the show is so awesome I can't stand it. I designed with it going on in the background.

      Delete
  8. Oh Happy Day - I have been watching the preview of Game Of Thrones over & over. Brilliant project = so much fun watching your creative process - amazing art. Any suggestions where to find a dragon? It is not for a project like yours I just happen to need a dragon for an upcoming project. Thanks again for sharing your magic with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Robin! I got mine at Michaels in the fairy garden section. I hope that helps. Good luck with your project!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...