Thursday, July 27, 2017

Rebekah Meier by Therm O Web Mix Media Journal

Very excited to be playing along with Rebekah Meier using her line of Therm*O*Web Mixed Media products to make a Mix Media Journal. This is a Designer Crafts Connection Blog Hop so I hope you join in & see what the other designers have made! 


I used my product pieces to create this Mix Media Journal using the Eileen Hull Journal die as my base. Yes I am completely addicted to this die but you could use these techniques on a canvas, in your art journal, cards, tags or the cover of a mini album etc. There are multiple techniques that I will be highlighting so please play along! There is also a supply list at the end of the post. 



Thanks so much to Therm*O*Web for the generous box of goodies so I could play & experiment! 

 

Technique 1: Playing with Tape

A very simple way to create dynamic art tape. Using Rebekah's Mix Media Art Tape, simply peel off the backing & adhere the tape to your craft mat. Leave strips of tape & as you art the tape will pick up the products you are using. When you are happy with the background simply add some stamping & use your eclectic tape! Great for an art journal, tag, even along the edge of your planner.



Another way to do this is simply create your tape by swiping multiple colors of Glimmer Glam to create a colorful glittery background. When dry use as is or stamp some background images or text. The tape can be used washi style, for a binding on a book, as an accent to the edge of a planner. Limitless and the great thing is you can custom color it. 

 

Technique 2: Foil with Mix Media Tape

Oh this is a fun one & there are all kinds of different applications once you start playing with this. We are going to use the sticky side of the tape this time. I used a piece of the finished tape, adhered it to some mat board with Rebekah's double sided adhesive. It was die cut & you can see it will be used as tabs for my book.




Peel off the backing of the tape and adhere your tape sticky side up to your craft mat using a couple pieces of washi tape. Take a stencil, place it on top of the tape. The great thing is the stencil will stick to the tape making working easy. Using acrylic paint stencil multiple images in different colors. Use just bits of the stencil image or have smaller images like the butterfly. Rebekah has some great mixed image stencils for this technique. 



Once the paint is dry simply take your foil & shiny side up rub with your finger onto the tape. Where there is no paint the foil will stick creating a cool, shiny metallic tape. I used New Penny & Patina. I liked the look of some of the white so I left it but if you don't, simply reapply more foil. I covered this with a coat of the mixed media medium to seal it & protect it.


Ok I had to add this wee video in. THIS IS MY FIRST EDITED VIDEO!!!! WOHOOO.

Technique 3: Die cut using Foam Sheets

Love THIS!!! Rebekah's Mixed Media Foam Sheets are double sided adhesive. The ideas are once again endless. Peel one side of backing off & adhere paper, fabric or foil. Die cut an image. Simply peel off the adhesive & adhere to your project. You can paint, ink, wax, use whatever product you want to colorize.



Using this technique I made my center piece "x"  & circles  using Seth Apter dies. This is a super easy way to add height to the die cuts. I adhered word search paper to one side of the foam & ran through my die cutting machine 2x. It cut through like butter! I ran the same image through to create a 2nd piece using just the foam. I also made a 3rd piece to create my "x".


The bottom layered piece was adhered sideways to the cover. Hot tip: the foam is pliable & can lose it's shape if handled too much. I found it easier to stick each layer down to a base as I built the embellishment. That helped it maintain it's shape. 



Once my sideways X base was down, I peeled up the backing only where I wanted my foil to be. I rubbed Patina on the sideways X portion and where there are gaps on the next layer. After painting my second layer iron color, (the word paper covered layer) simply peel off the adhesive backing & position on the base piece.



After rubbing foil on the X piece, I ran a brad through it, peeling the backing off before bending the back part of the brad. Now my brad won't turn around. Adhere the X to the middle of the piece. 


The same technique of adding paper to foam was used to create the circles on the back. They were then painted with acrylic paint & glaze mix. Oh this gives all my dies a new life potential!!



Technique 4: Foiling with a Stencil

Seriously one of my favorite techniques. Just scrape some of the Mixed Media Medium through a stencil with a spatula. Let dry which actually doesn't take too long, maybe 10 minutes. You will know it is dry when the product is clear. It will be nice & sticky. Apply foil color side up & rub with your finger or a bone folder. Bam a beautiful metallic image will appear! 


This technique was used randomly over the cover of my book. I just love how it looks! This is a great way to add some wow to your art journal, scrapbook or mix media images. The medium holds it's shape so you get a raised metallic image. I used Vintage Tin for the cover. 



I hope you enjoyed my techniques with foil! If you want to complete this type of journal there is a tutorial here. I used the same steps to make this journal. Thanks so much for joining me today. Please hop along to the other gals blogs & leave us some comments!! Have an inky day.

Anita Scroggins
 Susan Brown
Nadine Carlier
Candy Rosenberg
Steph Ackerman

Supply List:

Rebekah Meier by Therm*O*Web
  • Mixed Media Art Paper
  • Mixed Media Foam Sheets
  • Mix Media Adhesive Sheets
  • Mixed Media Medium
  • Mixed Media Transfer Foil in Vintage Tin, Patina & New Penny
Rebekah Meier Stencils by The Crafter's Workshop (TCW)
  • 6x6 Grow Page
  • 6x6 Stencil Postcard
  • 6x6 Specimen
Eileen Hull Journal Die by Sizzix
Seth Apter Die:Drip Drop, Coffee Ring, Cross Bars
        "        Stamps: ConText, Pattern Play
Glimmer Glam by Tattered Angels: Organic Garden & Light Blue
Goldens: Micaceous Iron Oxide, Permanent Violet Dark, Acrylic Glazing Liquid.
Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful project Karen - thanks for sharing a variety of ideas and techniques with these fun projects. My favorite is the die cut adhesive foam... add dimension and bling! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susan, that foam is seriously fun to play with!

      Delete
  2. Such a fabulous journal, I absolutely love it and I even think we used the same stencil on our projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadine!! I think we did use the same stencils and Seths fabulous dies!

      Delete
  3. So many great techniques shared on one incredible project! Thanks for showcasing all the versatility in our Rebekah Meier Designs collection of products!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julia! Love finding different ways to use these products.

      Delete
  4. wow, so many techniques, thanks this post is full of creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen your journal is gorgeous! Loved reading about all the technique and the foiling looks fantastic! You did a great job showcasing these products! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...